How to Write a Descriptive Essay in 5 Steps
Any dissertation editor would tell you that dissertation editing and writing any academic assignment is really complex. Each of them is unique and is supposed to be performed in a certain way. Though writing dissertation is considered to be the toughest of the challenges, there are other pretty challenging types. For instance, a descriptive essay.
What are the main difficulties of writing a descriptive essay?
Some students struggle hard when they should perform this assignment type. A descriptive essay is complex due to the power of language that is supposed to be present on the paper. The writer should reveal the meaning of a subject using a sensory observation that should be written in details. It is necessary to bring a subject to life with through the human senses. Of course, such task is utterly difficult.
In order to successfully cope with this assignment, you should develop your own system of writing such tasks. You can use a very smart method, which includes only 5 steps that are really effective. These are as follows:
- A prewriting of the paper. This is an important stage during which a student should make allowances for whom or what he or she is going to describe. It is likewise necessary to think about the reasons for such choice. In the case, this is a person you should write about his/her significance for you. In the case, this is an object or some place you should describe its meaning personally for you. After the topic is chosen, think about all its qualities and which ones you would like to describe. Add as many topic details as you can.You should make allowances for the location of an object or the personal traits of a person. Write about the physical characteristics as well. Afterward, write an outline for each paragraph to fully describe all the details.
- Make a draft. You should consider the outline. However, it is essential to support the readers with as many details concerning your subject as possible. Always keep in mind that your major objective is to show and not to tell. Probably, if remembering the senses, such as sight, hearing, taste, and others, you will cope with the task easier. Think about how you could describe the subject depending on your main senses and just put it down. It would be perfect if you really enjoyed such description. The descriptive essay is not about the facts. It’s about the power of imagination of a person who writes the paper.
- Revise the paper. You should always revise all you have already written. In such way, you will be able to recognize all the mistakes and correct them. You can modify and reorganize the most crucial moments so that your paper became more impressive and significant. While revising the paper, try to answer the questions concerning the topic. Does it really reveal your true feelings? Will it confuse the readers? Is it clear enough? Is it important? Is the choice of the figurative language acceptable and proper? Did you describe everything in details? And some others.
- Edit the essay. Before you publish your paper, you should make the proofreading. Correct all grammar and stylistic errors. Make sure that each part is logical and depicts the main picture in full.
- Publish your essay. Make ready your essay and share it with others. Be ready for all kinds of feedback. This is also important and will help to improve your paper.
As you can see, these 5 steps are actually easy. You only have to be determined and motivated. The success will surely come to you.